Space Pug Skirt and Top

I found this amassing fabric on ebay, Pugs in space suit standing on the moon with space ships and stars. How could I resist, its just too cute. So I bought 2 meters and planned to work out what I could make when it arrived. 


Isn't it so so cute. 

Looking through my pattern stash I found a skirt that needed 1 meter ( New Look 6843, view E) and a top that said it used 1.3 meters (Simplicity 1699, view B). Commercial patterns are often a little generous about how much fabric you need so I thought it was worth testing, even if it didn't all fit I could make just the skirt and used the rest as an accent material on a top. 

I to make a muslin/mock-up to check the fit using some old bed sheet that I kept for this purpose, no point buying fabric to make something you are only going to half make and wear for 5 min. 

 

As you can see its fits well. I can move comfortably in it. I didn't mock the bottom peplum, its flared enough to fit over my hips. I am shortening the peplum though so I held a tape measure against where the peplum would be sewn to check its length and it looked fine. 

Then came the test, laying the pieces out on the fabric, was it all going to fit? And the answer is yes, with a little fabric to spare. Sigh of relief, the plan will work. Then came the bit that always makes me nervous, cutting. Once its cut you cant turn back, it will never be that big perfect piece again. 


The lighting wasn't great when I took this picture at 9pm, but all the bits are cut out. I still need to add markings but soon I will be sewing it all up. Updates to follow. 

Comments

Popular Posts