Reducing Waste - Produce In Plastic Bags

I'm a sucker for a deal, and those bags of veg are so easy and cheap. But they come home, get chucked in the fridge or a cupboard where they sweat in the plastic bag and before I can eat them all they have gone bad. It's a horrible feeling throwing away food. 

So what can I do about it?

image 1 of Redmere Farms Carrots 1Kg

There are 2 issues here that I want to correct, the first is the plastic packaging and the second is the waste of food going bad before I can eat it. The solution for me is to buy less and buy it loose, no more buying family (i.e. 4+ peoples worth) size packs, there is only 2 of us. 



To help put this plan into action I treated my self to some produce bags. They are reusable, machine washable and should last years. I went to the greengrocer and bought just what  needed. Its lovely seeing all the fruit and veg sitting in wooden boxes without all the plastic, and being able to picking out the items you want.

Another nice site is my fridge veg draw, its not over stuffed and full of plastic bags, just some fresh veg waiting to be cooked into something yummy. 

Comments

Popular Posts