Dreaming of Autumn - Season Bucket List

I'm not much of a summer girl, its too hot and I burn too easy. While others joyously run for parks and beaches I cringe thinking about all the extra things I need to survive the heat. 

The smell of sunscreen makes my other half smile with its memories of summer, he has never had to reapply factor 50 every few hours. Its thick oily texture all over my skin, everything sticking to me, sand, dust, small leaves, or dirt, sunscreen does not care. The summer hat, and the inevitable chasing it down the road when the wind steals it, or the parasol and the carrying it though crowds. The bottle of water, because dehydration is a big issue when you suffer with chronic migraines. 

So when autumn comes and others sigh like a lover post coitus, smiling at the memory of the good times had, for me the sign is of relief. The air finally cools, the days shorten, and all becomes more relaxed. With the burning heat gone I dream of evenings in the garden, till chased into the conservatory by a chill. I think of walking and watching the leaves changing colour. I ponder recipes now the kitchen isn't to hot to bake. 

In spring I made a gift box for my friends with a spring bucket list. I got a little over excited and put too many thing on this list. But I think it would be nice to make another season bucket list, just much shorter. 10 things to do this autumn. OK, lets see:

1) Go for a walk when the leaves change colour. A simple start but I do love a walk, even better if its a woods walk with my partner.

2) Find a new comfort recipe, soup, stew, or casserole. Its going to be getting cold and coming home to warm comfort food feels so good.

3) Sew broad beans that will slumber over winter and return in spring with lots of beans. 

4) Make a wreath or garland, something with all the colours of the season do brighten my home.

5) Crochet a jumper or scarf. Got to be ready for winter.

6) Make apple and cinnamon jam while apples are in season. Love this reduced sugar recipe, save some for the winter months.

7) Toast marshmallows over an open fire. It might be a candle but if I can I'd like to do it over some logs in the barbecue.

8) Bake a fruit pie and eat it hot with ice cream, oh yum.

9) Have a scary movie night, might be on my own (scheduling is hard), but nuzzled into blankets with a warm drink and snacks.

10) Bake autumn leaf gingerbread biscuits, icing optional.

So that's 10 things to do in 3 months, September, October, and November. I can manage that, especially as many are food related, I do love my food. Just got to wait till autumn starts now *checks date impatiently*


Comments

Popular Posts