All Those Odd and Ends

As I am starting to make more clothes there will be the unavoidable scrap pieces of fabric. Those pieces that are too small to make anything with. That is if I want to use them as panels in something. 

But some of them are just right to make English Paper Piecing (EPP) hexes out of, and they can be sewn together to make pieces bit enough to use. With the scrap pieces being quite small I need a hex that is quite small to match. As it happens I have some 1" hexes from when I made my sewing machine mat, these will be perfect to use up some of those leftover bits. 


(OK these are pieces left after cutting out the hexes)

I don't have a great qty of 1" hexes so I will need more, so to recycle another item that would otherwise be waste I am cutting up some card items like old birthday cards and cereal boxes to make more. 


In the interest of reducing plastic usage I also needed to learn a new skill. For my previous EPP projects I have used a water soluble glue pen, but they are quite wasteful, so much plastic for so little glue. So I have learnt to sew them onto the card, wasn't that hard. 


For now I will just make the hexes, build up a stash from all the projects I have planned. Later I can make a bag or a pillow with them, or both, I will most likely have plenty of scraps. 

But what about the last bits of fabric, those pieces so small you can't get a hex out of them. Well they will be cut up into small pieces and used as stuffing, just what that cushion will need. Waste not want not as the old saying goes. I even used a little of it to stuff a quick crochet pumpkin.


I will need wadding for a bag, otherwise the bag will be too floppy, bamboo wadding has a reduced impact on the environment and is easily available for sale (I bought some for un-sponges, see my kitchen scrubbers post). Lastly is fabric to line the inside of the bag, it doesn't need to be all one fabric, so I am sure I can use leftovers. 

That sounds like a plan to me. Thank you for reading. 

Comments

Popular Posts