Reviving My Wardrobe With Some Me Made Clothes

Last summer Mother and I had a lovely shopping trip where I bought lots of lovely new fabric. The idea had been that as I had finally got back to my goal weight I would make lots of new clothes to show off the new trim me. It did not work out like that, I never got round to sewing anything and all that fabric has sat in a box for about a year. 

That new trim bod has been expanding since then, slowly at first and rapidly after lockdown hit. I also came to the conclusion that clothes that where formfitting or snug when at goal where not that useful, it didn't take long for clothes to become too small to wear. 

So I have decided to make clothes in the next size up, which is much closer to the recommended sizes on the back of commercial patterns. This means that although they are tighter now they will fit better in the in between now and goal weights. 

I should probably quantify that the now verses goal sizes are not too different:
Bust = 39 to 38 = 1 inch
Waist = 32 - 30 = 2 inch
Hip = 41 to 40 = 1 inch
So the changes won't be an issue, just a little more ease.

It also helps that lots of the styles I have been drawn to lately are not as figure hugging. If I was to describe the new look I am going for in 3 words it would be, Vintage, Librarian, Cottagecore. Think gentle tones, feminine shapes, and a touch of whimsy. I still like a nipped in waist so they will stay but not to the same degree. 

So what do I need for this new look:

Blouses - I always need more bloused, especially as its my work wardrobe that needs the most help, something cute but that I can both slouch and move in. 

Summer Tops - With straps or flouncy sleeves, something light and cool. I think all cotton tops that aren't blouses fall into this category, in winter I will just layer them up with knits. 

Straight and A-Line Skirts - Just above the knee, a pocket here and there. A classic skirt at a cute length, an absolute must. 

Flared and Gathered Skirts - Its more a vintage staple and Lolita must have, I just couldn't be without them.  

Knit wear - Now I can knit its time to make some cute jumpers and cardigans. Though I admit that in the summer warmth they are on the back burner.  

Trousers - I can't explain why but I want some vintage inspired voluptuous trousers, think pleated fronts, straight legs and wide flowing hems. 

Light dresses - Flowing skirts, blouse like tops or straps, some buttons and trim. I am still working on exactly what I want them to be. 

I have already made the first blouse and am working on some overalls and I hope to write about them soon. I also hope to write soon about the Haslam system of dresscutting that I plan to give a go soon, I have a copy and have seen a bodice that needs to be made into a blouse. 

Comments

Popular Posts