Aloo Tikka Chaat

This week I was brave and tried a new recipe mid week. Normally I wait till a Friday or the weekend to try a new meal but this week I planned it in for mid week, a bit of a risk I know. It all worked out though, I made sure to prep some stuff ahead to take the pressure off. 


The recipe is from the Dishoom cook book that I treated my self a while back, my other half picked it out, he wanted a chickpea curry. OK so this isn't what I would call a curry but it was still good. It's fried potato patties with sweet yogurt, tamarind drizzle, crispy chickpeas, mint and coriander chutney, and pomegranate seeds. Lots of elements, hence the preciously mentioned risk it being mid week. 

I loved it, the other half was not so sure, he liked the potato and chickpeas but hes not a yogurt fan and found the sweetness a bit off. So if I make this again I will make Marsala sauce for his one and do mine mostly to the book. 

All in all I think it was a success, the other half may not have loved it but he ate almost all of it and liked elements that we can adapt. The frame work for a great meal is there. 

In terms of cost its not too bad either:
Potato = 40p 
Chickpeas (tin) = 55p
Pomegranate = £1
Yogurt = 36p
Butter = 30p
Oil to fry = 74p
Spices and other cupboard essentials = 50p
Herbs = £1.20
Tamarinds = £1
Soft dark brown sugar = 26p
Lime = 30p
Rice = 6p

So in total I estimate £5.68 for a meal for two. Not that cheap but I still still have some tamarind drizzle, chilli drizzle, and tamarind chutney left. When I make it again I would miss the mint and coriander chutney, pomegranate, and rice. which would reduce the cost by £2.56 making it £3.15 a person which is quite acceptable. 

Zero waste wise its not too bad. 

Comments

Popular Posts